Law Enforcement in Wesley
Contact Kossuth County Sheriff’s Department
EMERGENCY - 911
NON-EMERGENCY - 515-295-9471
Call Before You Dig
Iowa One Call
Building Permits are required for any new construction or additions to any existing building. Permits can be acquired from the City Clerk’s Office. The fee is $50.00. A permit is not necessary for roof repairs, shingling, window replacement, siding, interior remodeling or landscaping.
No dogs or cats are to run
at large in the City limits. When impounded a fee of $10.00
for first offense will be collected. Second offense $25.00
and $50.00 for the third.
Golf Carts with the proper permit can be operated on streets.
Junk vehicles (vehicles
that are not licensed and/or have not moved from location
for a period of 30 days or more), junk, grass over 8 inches
in height are considered a nuisance and should be removed
or a municipal infraction can be issued.
Back yard burning of paper items is permitted. Burning of leaves and small branches is permitted when weather is favorable. Burning is not allowed on the streets or alleys.
No yard waste can be put in with regular garbage that is hauled to the landfill.
Snowmobiles, Small Recreational Vehicles, All Terrain Vehicles are not to be operated on City Streets. For copy of ordinance contact City Hall
Dog License Required
ANNUAL LICENSE REQUIRED
- Every owner of a dog over the age of six (6) months shall procure a dog license from the office of City Clerk on or before January 1 of each year, or within thirty (30) days of the animal being brought into the city, or when the animal has reached six (6) months of age.
- The form of application shall state the breed, sex, age, color, markings, and name, if any of the dog, and the address of the owner and shall be signed by the owner. The application shall also state the date of the most recent rabies vaccination, the type of vaccine administered and the date the dogs shall be revaccinated.
- All licenses shall expire on December 31 of the year of the date of issuance.
LICENSE Fees. The annual license fee for spayed and neutered dogs is ten ($10.00) dollars per year. For dogs that are not spayed or neutered, the annual license fee is twenty ($20.00) dollars.
DELINQUENCY. All license fees shall become delinquent on July 1 of the year in which they are due and a delinquent penalty of five ($5.00) dollars per month shall be added to each unpaid license on and after said date.
LICENSE TAGS. Upon receipt of the application and fee, the City of Wesley shall deliver or mail to the owner a license that shall be in the form of a metal tag stamped with the serial number of the license as shown on the record book of the City Clerk, the year in which it is issued, and the name of the City. The license tag shall be securely fastened by the owner to a collar or harness that shall be worn at all times by the dog for which issued. A license issued for one dog shall not be transferable to another dog. Upon the expiration of the license, the owner shall remove said tag from the dog.
LICENSE RECORDS. City Hall shall keep a book to be known as the record of licenses; such record shall show:
- The serial number and date of each application for a license
- The description of the dog as specified in the application, together with the name of the owner of the dog.
- The date when each license tag is issued and the serial number of each tag, the date of the most recent rabies vaccination, the type of vaccine administered, and the date the dog shall be revaccinated.
- The amount of all fees paid.
- Such other data as may be required by law.
IMMUNIZATION. Before a license is issues, the owner shall furnish a veterinarian's certificate showing that the dog for which the license is sought has been vaccinated against rabies, and that the vaccination does not expire within six months from the effective date and the dog license. A tag showing evidence of proper vaccination shall at all times be attached to the collar of the dog.
DUPLICATE TAGS. Upon the filling of an affidavit that the license tag has been lost or destroyed, the owner may obtain another tag on the payment of ten ($10.00) dollars and the City Clerk shall enter in the license record the new number assigned.
TRANSFERS OF LICENSED DOGS. Upon transfer of a licensed dog into the City the owner shall surrender the original license tag to the new owner. The new owner shall preserve the surrendered tag and, without a license fee, issue a new license tag.
- Any unlicensed dog found at large in violation of this chapter shall be seized and impounded.
- When an unlicensed dog has been apprehended and impounded, written notice shall be provided to the owner within two (2) days after impoundment, is the owner's name and current address can be reasonably be determined by accessing a tag or other device that is on for part of the animal. Impounded unlicensed dogs may be recovered by the owner by payment of the license fee, delinquency fee, impounding costs and is an unvaccinated dog by having it immediately vaccinated, if the owner fails to redeem the dog within seven (7) days from the date that the notice is mailed, or if the owner cannot be located within seven (7) days, the dog shall be disposed of in accordance with law or destroyed by euthanasia.
- Impounding fees are twenty-five ($25.00) dollars for the first day and ten ($10.00) dollars per day thereafter.
Passed by the Council the 4th day of December, 2017, and approved this 4th day of December, 2017.