Please be aware that ALL DOGS MUST be leashed under the City Code Requirements (55.18) If Dogs are picked up and unlicensed by the City of Wesley, your dog will be impounded (57.09).
55.18 LEASH REQUIRED. Any person owning a dog shall confine the same from running at large. It is the duty of every person owning a dog to:
1. Confine the dog by good and sufficient means; or
2. Cause the dog to be under the control of a person competent to restrain and control the dog, either by leash, cord, chain, or other similar restraint of sufficient strength, and not more than six feet in length; or
3. Properly restrain in a motor vehicle or keep the dog in a veterinary hospital or registered kennel. A muzzled dog shall not be deemed to have been restrained unless the above conditions are also met.
57.09 KENNEL DOGS.
1. Any unlicensed dog found at large in violation of this chapter shall be seized and impounded.
2. When an unlicensed dog has been apprehended and impounded written notice shall be provided to the owner within two (2) days after impoundment, if the owner's name and current address can reasonably be determined by accessing a tag or other devise that is on for part of the animal. Impounded unlicensed dogs may be recovered by the owner by payment of the license fee, delinquency fee, impounding costs and if an unvaccinated dog by having it immediately vaccinated. If the owner fails to redeem the dog within seven (7) days from the date that the notice is mailed or if the owner cannot be located within seven (7) days, the dog shall be disposed of in accordance with law or destroyed by euthanasia.
3. Impounding fees are twenty-five ($25.00) dollars for the first day and ten ($10.00) dollars per day thereafter.